Rail-Trains!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your best train company?

+4
charpet10
Provincial
Admin
8 posters

Go down

What is your best train company? Empty What is your best train company?

Post  Admin Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:39 pm

my best train company is first scotrail
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 186
My best train is: : class 156:)
Website: : www.gallerysteven.fotopic.net/ and https://rail-trains.1talk.net/ it's worth the rush!
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

What is your best train company? Empty Re: What is your best train company?

Post  170399 Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:24 am

Central Trains

Number of posts : 46
My best train is: : Class 170 Turbostar
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:50 am

170399 wrote:Central Trains
it isn't central trains anymore its EMT=East Midland Trains Razz
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Website: : www.gallerysteven.fotopic.net/ and https://rail-trains.1talk.net/ it's worth the rush!

Back to top Go down

Post  170399 Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:52 am

kk then picky i like central as they had 170s but now i like NXEA

Back to top Go down

Post  Provincial Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:04 am

How about explaining why you like these companies??

I like Northern because they gave me a train driving licence

I liked GNER because they were a shining example of how the privatised railway should be
Provincial
Provincial

Number of posts : 34
My best train is: : HST and 150/1

Back to top Go down

Post  170399 Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:07 am

fair point i like NXEA because they are very good operated company and have fantastic stock

Back to top Go down

Post  charpet10 Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:38 pm

Southeastern 'cause their trains rarely ever break down and rarely ever suffer long delays.
charpet10
charpet10
Good active member
Good active member

Number of posts : 15
My best train is: : Class 456!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-28

Back to top Go down

What is your best train company? Empty Company

Post  Liam43172 Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:54 pm

You may think i'm mad but my favourite is FGW (First Great Western), everyone complains about how the services are late and to compact, okay sometimes they are but they run a regular High Speed service from London-Bristol, The loco's are great, it's a shame their not Valentas but still, They are unusually late and they are extremely compfy to sit in. The local service trains are also very good now that they have been refurbished, they are sometimes late because of the timetable and the High Speed services get priority over them. The only problem i have against them is that they have got rid of 10+ class 158s and brought in 10+ 142s! Whats going on there?
Liam43172
Liam43172
Rail-Trains Member

Number of posts : 4
My best train is: : Class 43 (HST) or Class 66
Registration date : 2008-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Liam43172 wrote:You may think i'm mad but my favourite is FGW (First Great Western), everyone complains about how the services are late and to compact, okay sometimes they are but they run a regular High Speed service from London-Bristol, The loco's are great, it's a shame their not Valentas but still, They are unusually late and they are extremely compfy to sit in. The local service trains are also very good now that they have been refurbished, they are sometimes late because of the timetable and the High Speed services get priority over them. The only problem i have against them is that they have got rid of 10+ class 158s and brought in 10+ 142s! Whats going on there?
first scotrail have 10 more 158's although i heard they are from northern it's the weesex trains ones although, it could be wrong and maybe they are from First great western. i need to admit on a hot summers day i would prefare to sit on a class 142 than a 158 because 158's have bad brakes, the aircon is really bad which i can't stand the heat on trains and the leg room as bad although don't get me wrong 142's have there faults as well HAHA too many to mention. Hit the wrong button on one of them your most likley to go boom. if i had to drive a 142 i would stick a bag over my head going into stations as i would be ashamed to drive a 75mph bus lol Twisted Evil
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve34041 Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:06 pm

S Fraser,
you say that 158's could be replaced by 142's because they have bad brakes but the real shocking thing behind that decision is that they are running the Devon/Cornwall locals, and yet it was when they were first introcduced and used down there that the Cornish rebelled against them; and theyre going to do it again! It's also wierd how they get rid of X amount of 158's that were used on Portsouth-Cardiff's and then bring down 142's for Cornwall/Devon workings - that's a mistake by FGW. FGW have wallet's tighter than ducks arses. They're only spending 1% of their yearly turnover on rolling stock! Which, i suppose could explain why the 142s are here. I guess the rest goes on bills & fines for the year !

My favourite company would have been Central Trains (until they were split up into XC & London Midland etc etc) but i think i'm going to say Arrive Cross Country (Although they'll never be as good as Virgin !!)

Steve
Steve34041
Steve34041
Part Time Moderator
Part Time Moderator

Number of posts : 5
My best train is: : Black 5, Royal Scot or 34041 'Wilton'
Website: : www.pics-by-stevie.fotopic.net or www.southwestphotos.fotopic.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:16 pm

Steve34041 wrote:S Fraser,
you say that 158's could be replaced by 142's because they have bad brakes but the real shocking thing behind that decision is that they are running the Devon/Cornwall locals, and yet it was when they were first introcduced and used down there that the Cornish rebelled against them; and theyre going to do it again! It's also wierd how they get rid of X amount of 158's that were used on Portsouth-Cardiff's and then bring down 142's for Cornwall/Devon workings - that's a mistake by FGW. FGW have wallet's tighter than ducks arses. They're only spending 1% of their yearly turnover on rolling stock! Which, i suppose could explain why the 142s are here. I guess the rest goes on bills & fines for the year !

My favourite company would have been Central Trains (until they were split up into XC & London Midland etc etc) but i think i'm going to say Arrive Cross Country (Although they'll never be as good as Virgin !!)

Steve
i didn't say anything about them having bad brakes, it's because first scotrail needs more 158s? not a clue why but anyway...
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Provincial Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:57 am

Class 142s were originally introduced to Cornwall to try to save money on loss making rural lines and to replace ageing 1st Gen DMMUs. They didnt last long as their long wheelbase and 4 wheels gave excessive rail wear and they were going through wheel sets every 4000 miles. They were sent north and 150s replaced them.

The fact that 142s have returned is because there is no other rolling stock available to lease - everything useful is in traffic with other operators. The DfT ordered the 158s off to pastures new, and the extra ones that ScotRail received are sub-leased from NorthernRail. Surely it is better to have something providing the service than having yet more cancelled services?!

Class 158s do NOT have bad brakes, they are disc braked to cope with braking from higher speeds. I like driving 158s when I get the chance and find the brakes to be just as good as tread brakes - at high speeds they are excellent - they can be light at low speeds (I mean 5mph) but any good driver that knows his traction can compensate this - dont forget we are highly trained professionals!! Until you have driven a real train you cant have a true view on train handling. Travelling in the passenger saloon and driving in the driving cab are two totally different worlds.
Provincial
Provincial

Number of posts : 34
My best train is: : HST and 150/1

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:42 am

Favorite rail company, any that's operated by First. Reason, I get discount rail travel for myself, family and friends Very Happy
Daisy Dart
Daisy Dart
New member, still getting the hang of things

Number of posts : 6
Website: : http://groups.google.co.uk/group/bus-and-rail-fans?lnk=li
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post  bricktop11 Fri May 16, 2008 1:20 am

Transpennine express - Why: because i like their color scheme on trains and also ive never seen any or heard of any breaking down plus they used class158 but now have the amazing growling class185
bricktop11
bricktop11

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down